Wednesday, 1 March 2017

Miniature Cold Porcelain House - The Process

March of 2017 already ! One thing I wanted to do this year, was make more pieces that would challenge me. I started with a tiny base, and shaped up a piece of clay, in the most basic for of a house.

I first tried various positions for the house and then added some steps and cobble stones. I speckled the clay with bits of dark grey and black paint flecks (scraping a dried paint palette before washing, works!) after tinting it grey.

I decided to add some grey and black microbeads too, to give it some rough texture.

I added a very thin layer of dark greenish - grey clay as the roof, and textured it to make it resemble roof tiles/ shingles. Added a tiny rhinestone for window glass and Brown clay as window frame , and door. I also made a big urn style flower pot, with

The next step, was adding the moss, ivy, hedges long leaves to fill the pot. Mainly used ball tools and silicon tips for texturing.
Then added miniature mushrooms with white clay for stalks, and red for the caps. Added white dots on the cap.

Used some chalk pastels for shading. They are half pastels, and a single pastel is about an Inch long ! So you can have an idea of the size of the miniature.

Tuesday, 28 February 2017

Assymetric Earrings, And Updates.

After a post in the beginning of the year, I have lagged with posts. It is not that there has been nothing to post about, but I have been on an attempt to get healthier. Finishing the third phase of my Ayurvedic treatment.

Finally rid of nearly a decade and more of swollen joints, water retention, perpetual pain, a bloated body and weight gain! Well, not yet there with the last aspect, but hopefully now, weight loss measures will not end up being futile !

Anyway, with the treatment and resting that is mandatory, I had not been able to do a lot of work, but I still have something to show

These are some earrings I did out of marbled clay. Totally hand shaped and loved the assymetry of the designs. I did not want to tamper too much with them, so just gave thrm tiny silver floral accents and ear wires.

Another pair I made, this time the beads came assymetric, and i just teamed them up with some tiny wooden beads and golden accents.

Friday, 6 January 2017

Origami Pyramid - Gift Packaging

It has been a while since I posted any tutorial links . While I have been checking out tutorials and inspiring works, I had been largely trying to create things by experimenting. I had a big order for Diwali. Jhumkas as gifts.

I will be posting about the jhumkas in a later post, but in this one, I wanted to link an origami tutorial. Here is the work in progress.


I wanted a relatively simple design , which could still be made festive. I tried to ger some stock paper in a design, but then i decided that it was better to customize it. Here is the link to the origami tutorial.

Easy Pyramid Box tutorial by Henry Pham.

I did check out quite a few tutorials, and found this one fairly easy to follow. I just used white stock paper and painted one end with a feather design in metallic bronze. the only other thing was to write 'Happy Diwali' at the base of the tiny packages. it was perfect to nestle a single pair of jhumkas in each pyramid box. Then held it together with Maroon ribbons.

The result was none too fussy, and elegant.

And finally, for a sneak peek at the festive Jhumkas, which are a traditonal Indian design of earrings. Just that personal touch to make the commissioned gifts that much more special!!

What say you?.

Sunday, 1 January 2017

Sea Lion Miniature

My daughter wanted a sea animal for her class exhibition, and she suggested a sea lion . The grey sea lions were fairly common, and did not excite her much. Then we saw a picture of a white sea lion and decided to go with that.

'Cute' was what she wanted. So I made a few sketches, got her approval and got to work. Did not use any armature. I did the neck to tail in a single piece of clay, and attached the head separately.

Gave some light grey beauty spots all over. I gave it slightly lighter eyes to add some interest. Then highlighted areas like the flippers, tail and around the eyes in light brown.

Since the flippers were relatively fragile, I decided to add a perch. Nothing would do, but a bit of ice. And decorated the edges with stylized waves.

This little guy is less than 3 inches from head to tail.